Sunday, November 9, 2008

Her Cute Black Button Nose



There is always a bit of fear in her eyes. She's needy, she's crazy, she's lovable, she's a pistol, she's Roxee Lynn Peepee Lovedog Chapman.

She is my grandog and I am crazy about her. I have had custody of her pretty much full time for a year now. Her dad, my delightful son, got a little frustrated with her problem of incontinence, thus the name Peepee. We had tried several medications, (including Prozac) but she was too smart and would spit it out no matter how we disguised it (believe me we tried EVERYTHING). I decided she was depressed and just needed a well balanced home and to be showered with love and attention! We could not split up the two so Dozer came with the package.

After raising 3 boys and learning how much you love each one equally but differently because they each are different, you learn that your pets are the same. Zion, Dozer and Roxee each have a different personality. I love each of them the same, but treat each of them differently because they react and are different. You cannot go up to Zion and pet her, she backs away immediately and charges in and is ready to play. If a stranger goes to pet Roxee she may or may not growl and then she usually runs into the closet. If you go to pet Dozer, he'll try to find something to rest his big head on so he can really enjoy himself, his head is big, it's a lot of weight to keep holding up all the time!

Last week with Roxee: 4:00 a.m. potty break, something has lured the two out to the mailbox. I call for them. Nothing. Walk out to driveway. See cat sneer at Roxee! She high tails it across the driveway, looses her ground and skids on her side a couple feet, while Dozer just sits there looking at the scene calmly like "Hey, what up?" I yell at them again to come inside and I am thinking, "If I step in poop I am going to go ballistic." I don't go back to sleep for several hours, I'm not tired anymore!

Zion was enjoying a belly rub from my husband. No sooner did Roxee see this event happening and she ran right between the two, plops in the middle, rolls over and exposes her belly, Zion promptly leaves and it's now all about Roxee! When we are giving out treats Roxee always does some kind of pirouette. We have never taught her this, we do not ask, she just does it. Same thing with if she thinks we are mad at her, she just lays down and rolls half way on her back in submission. It's weird. Mornings and evening are also a ritual, she has needs...she comes and burrows into my neck or gets right up in my face. She needs to be cuddled, she needs closeness, but she rarely licks me. If the other dogs are close, she walks right over top of them (she is only 10 lbs.) and moves in. She doesn't stay very long, but you can tell when she is feeling needy and she usually gets what she wants.

Roxee came to our family when she was a year and a half. She had been neglected and would have died had we not got her. Because of the neglect we are sure this is where much of her behavior comes from. In spite of how crazy she is, she is also endearing to me. Often times we are quick to judge as is the case with many things in life. When we know the full story we find compassion, unconditional love and long suffering.

She may have crazy looking eyes, but I wouldn't change her cute black button nose or her quirks for nothin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment