Sunday, March 21, 2010

I Have a Dog

I have a dog. This dog to be exact.
ZION.










I also have graciously, no custody battle whatsoever, am the guardian of these two yeawhoo's.




May I introduce Roxee Lynn Peepee Lovedog and Mr. Dozer, my GranDogs.






My son Tj, the intense, full of life child that he is, is running TJ Chapman Auto. He also runs a very full social agenda. Most humans could not keep up! This child does it well.

I can't bear the thought of Roxee and Dozer home alone, they show signs of depression and it tugs at my heart. I bought them beds of their own. Tj knew it was for the best.

When my babies go visit their Dad they are more excited than two cats on a hot tin roof. When I call to check on them Tj complains that Dozer has terrible gas and is embarrassing him in front of his dates or clearing the office (so funny) when he takes him to work. We discuss his diet, nothing different. Then I find out Tj scolds Doz! For something beyond his control? It hits me; he is having granmog separation anxiety! He comes back to Granmog's and within a day, you guessed it, flatulence, gone! Good dog!!

When Doz is at Granmog's he is, Alpha in Charge. He patrols the neighborhood. He is especially protective of Roxee and rules the toys, which rubs Zion wrong in the worst of ways. Zion would rather play than eat.

I think I need grandchildren. Not that I worry about it in the least. It is just that when I go places and there is a dog I stop and talk to the dog, and then to the owner. Do you know how much time you can spend talking to someone about their dog's personality! I know I'm crazy but this is nuts!!

When I was a little girl on the farm I loved dogs. I gave them haircuts (not pretty). I especially loved assisting in delivering Aphro's 13 St. Bernard puppies. I lost touch loving dogs during my 20’s and 30’s. We had a couple of dogs for the boys, but I never bonded with them. That was a time in my life where everything was so fast and my priorities looked much different than they do now.

Today I recognize my need to be nurtured. One way I get this unconditionally is through my dogs. Zion is my ever faithful companion, if she is not right by my side, which is rare, I only have to call, or pat by where I am and she happily comes and contently curls up as close to me as she can. When I had the epiphany that I was missing a dog (while hiking alone in Zion's Canyon), a new calmness came over me. When I brought her home from that trip she was 9 weeks old and fit in the palm of my hand. Unaware of how truly unique and special she was, all 4 inches of her, she has been my soothing balm of Gilead more times than I can count.

Dogs are not the answer for nurturing everyone. There are many ways to be nurtured. If you feel tense, you may not be getting enough nurturing. If you feel anger, you may not be getting enough nurturing. If you feel lonely, you may not be getting enough nurturing. If you feel sad, you may not be getting enough nurturing. Did you get my point???

Nurturing is at the very essence of the sustenance of life. Think of a beautiful new batch of puppies playing with their sibling and then being nurtured by the very bosom of the one who bore them. Is this not unconditional love and nurturing at its finest? Oh we can learn a lot from the innocence of dogs and childrenno pretense, no guile, no ego, no worries.

The important thing and my point: get a healthy dose of nurturing daily! Preferably several doses daily! And here is the secret, you have to seek it...dogs do! They have no ego?! Huh?!

People could learn so much from dogs, unabashed unconditional love, and if you want to play they are ready and willing. If not they'll wait, no problem, nothing personal, no guilt (if you feel guilt that's your nature not theirs).

So if you need a hug, go hug a dog. A daily dose is good for the soul.

That's why I have a dog...

No comments:

Post a Comment