Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Sister's FIFTY TWO--WOOT WOO?


There are times that I watch my sister or listen to her and I think, "IS THAT ME?!"

I smile because she IS my sister, I laugh because there is NOTHING I can do about it!!!


Today is Sherry's birthday, would you believe she is 52? I get tired of people thinking I am older than she is. I act older too. Not that that is any type of consolation. Sherry knows how to have fun and I LOVE being with her...we can laugh at the most STUPID things, which is usually ourselves. Better to laugh than cry. We do plenty of both!

If you really KNOW Sherry you LOVE her. She has a heart of gold. She will cheer for and try to protect the underdog, which is something we were taught by our parents. Sherry and I lost our only other sibling, our brother Dave 16 years ago. Since that time we have clung to each other in a way that is only understandable if you have gone through a similar experience. Trauma seemed to be our second cousin for quite some time, where you are always looking over your shoulder to see what terrible thing is going to happen next. It's an awful feeling, we still carry a bit of it around with us to this day.

It's a funny thing because when people look at Sherry they judge her...OH YES THEY DO! and it is so easy to justify yourself when you judge someone who looks like they have it all! Beautiful, Blond, Buxom, therefore she must be stupid, selfish and shallow. The story goes that within 30 seconds we will have made a judgment as to whether a person is rich or poor, married, divorced or single, how much education they have had, and what they may do for a living. Again, all within 30 seconds?!

We lived in a small community. We were not the family with the "right" last name, nor did our behaviors always score points with those who did have the "right" last name. Sherry and I both got married and had babies as teenagers. Dave hosted keg parties while my parents were out of town (some of those parents children with the "right" last names were at those parties :D). Were we judged, talked about? You better believe it! Did it hurt? Let me tell you the part that hurt the most...being the little sister and hearing adults talk badly about your siblings! Did they think that this was going to make me feel better? Shame on them!

When I think of the bond that we share with our siblings I cannot help thinking about a darling batch of puppies in the beginning stages of life--crawling all over one another, playing with abandon, hanging on their very mothers nipple for sustenance, and then so easily contented to sleep in any position wrapped around one another, upside down, draped over one another with no inhibition or expectation, just unabashed love. Why does this ever have to end?


Well we do grow up...we must get off the boob and go out into this big bad world. People will judge, but to know people is to love people. As a family we are better for our challenges and trials. No one will EVER know the struggles my BEAUTIFUL SISTER has been through, nor do they need to. If the truth be known we all have struggles and ONLY LOVE will heal...only love.

Happy Birthday Sis, I love YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment