Monday, November 2, 2009

My Practical Mother is Shirley 67!

"There's been an explosion!" "Hurry come quick!" We all scamper to the shrieking sounds of my mother's voice and the string of Bangs going on downstairs!! No matter, mom is up to another one of her shenanigan's, this time she lit fireworks...just BEcause.?

This happened often growing up with mom. Fake poop, throw up, mice. Cigarette loads, the kind that went off in the guys face when they lit up at work. A string of compounded four letter words and ending with "Shirley!" would ensue. She had a reputation. My mom loved to play practical jokes...it runs in the family. And we loved it! Many stories to tell...

Oh and speaking of story telling, she can hang with the best of 'em. When she tells a story she is so animated and giggly that you don't know what is more funny, her or the story!

My mom turns 67 today. She works nearly full time hours at our Salon & Day Spa. She has been faithfully dedicated by our side since one year after we opened. Twenty one years of working with your daughter and son-in-law--now that's dedication, or brain damage?!


Mom was also a young mother. I was her third, and last, at the tender age of 21. By that time she had proficiently learned how to cook, clean, can, sew, garden, and work in the fields during harvest season on the farm. This picture was taken last year on Thanksgiving Eve as she is trying to teach some of us the finer art of all her "KNOCK OUT COOKING". This woman can STILL work most 20 and 30 year old's under the table.


But as I look back at my mom's life and all she has been through what I love most about her is her resilience. My parents divorced after 37 years of marriage. Shortly thereafter her son was killed and her father also died. She sustained many losses and handled it with quiet grace. Never does she talk about herself unless asked, and even then she is more interested in you than in going on about herself. She will serve until she is exhausted.

The practical jokes have left our family for quite some time now...they are slowly coming back, time does heal and we are grateful.

Mom is the life blood of our family. She is principle oriented and is never afraid to stick up for what she believes is right. She is loved and respected for that, even when it was not popular under many circumstances. She does not like pomp and circumstance...and particularly if it is about her. Luckily my practical mother has practically NO SAY in what I blog about!

We can all learn a few things from this "generation". This breed who felt no entitlements, worked hard for every penny they earned, believes in going the extra mile when they do a job, and if a "job's worth doing, it is worth doing well. Both my parents taught me to work hard and now my children and I are the beneficiaries of such a wonderful example.

Happy birthday Mom and wishing you many many more. I love you, I love you, Shirley most surely I DO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment