Friday, March 20, 2009

Dr. C. Periwinkle & Me


Dr. C. my "psych" is retiring. Today will be my last visit with him.
The primary purpose for a psychiatrist is to 1) diagnose mental illness 2) prescribe medication 3) monitor progress/goals of medication prescribed.

The days of lying on the couch and discussing your PROBLEMS with a psych would be umm, antiquated! My appointment lasts about 30 minutes.We discuss my med's, my moods and then with Dr. C. we get to the important stuff...our dogs, philosophizing, relating about life and all we have learned on our journey called life.

I have had a few psych's, but none like Dr. C. To pin point what makes this Doc different, memorable, and one that will always hold a spot in my heart, here is one example: Simple phone calls..."Lori, this is Dr. C. your appointment was 10 minutes ago and I can't treat you if you're not here. I care about you and want to know how you are doing." I was at the check in counter!

My first visit with Dr. C. actually was nearly 3 hours long and it seemed as though he had studied my 'file' for 3 hours before our visit. He had many questions, many insights and many observations from past treatments I had received. No bull this Doc cared, he did his homework and then furthermore LISTENED to me and what I felt was best with my med's. I studied a lot about anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, maoi- inhibitors, and mood stabilizers prior to my official diagnosis of bi- polar. Dr. C and I always worked as a team. There was trust between us. I shared with him what I was experiencing, he taught me about the illness and I have been the beneficiary.

Obtaining good psychiatry these days is difficult. There are so few psychiatrists and it takes months to get into them and frankly people don't like to flaunt that they go to one! Humm that's funny?! I for one don't want to trust my mental health to someone who practices, key word, they are all PRACTICING, the entire body or my female organs. I want someone who "specialized in the brain". Thus, yup I have a brain disorder and I have a psyche!

Medication for mental illnesses are being prescribed like candy in every kind of office across the country as well as trying to be substituted in the health food stores by all kinds of homeopathic remedies. I am not here to say one is right or wrong. I will say beware, use caution and be an educated consumer and steward over your own body and mind. There are plenty of "Who Saids of the Greater Magnitude" out there either wanting your dime or boosting their ego...on your back and ignorance.

To Dr. C.,

The Periwinkle flower signifies sweet remembrance, yes that is what the memories in your office will be SWEET REMEMBRANCE...

No comments:

Post a Comment