Monday, March 9, 2009

A Thorny Rose Garden


I had such a beautiful talk with my niece this past weekend. She has been what I call 'cocooning' a lot lately. A condition I am rather familiar with. When some of us hurt we nurture ourselves by seeking out help, and some of us retreat and emerge when we feel better. I believe the truth is we all need someone close that we let in, that we can trust to help us through the rough spots in life, but timing is everything. I don't always do what I preach.

This little niece of mine has been hurting for a while now, and I knew it, but Friday just seemed to be the right day to visit.

The two if us are an awful lot alike and she went off her anti-depressant one year ago. I never said anything to her but encouraging words. Who of us wants to be on medication?

She started back on Zoloft, the anti-depressant she has taken for several years, two days before I paid my visit. As she reflected back on her year she shared a few insights with me. I'd like to share them with you. 1)She realized she started to lose interest in her business of which she was in a #1 position at the time. 2)She felt she was in a fog at times. 3)There were times she felt hopeless and felt there was no where to turn. 4)She had lost that innate connection between mind, body and her spirituality that at one time was very easy for her.

Actually I could go on with more insights from this incredible woman, she is filled to the brim with an acute awareness of herself and life. She may have been in a foggy haze for a time but that is what makes her, "rose garden" all the brighter when she comes out. I think we have to experience some tough times to really appreciate the good times.

Her husband is a Type I diabetic. In her wisdom she said, "I don't tell him that I expect his body to make insulin so he doesn't have to take his medication every day!" "I would never do that." We looked at each other and WE GOT IT! Her brain doesn't make enough "feel good chemicals".

It IS so hard to GET because we don't SEE or understand all the many facets of how the brain gets depleted of serotonin, dopamine, nor epinephrine, and these are just the chemicals in the brain that we know about.

Nobody promised us Rose Gardens...and if you plant one yourself you just have to take care of it! (I hear they're thorny buggers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment