Friday, January 30, 2009

Growing Forsynthia and Children Naturally



Forsythia are an extremely fast growing bush, up to one to two feet per year. The decision to prune or leave natural, is a matter of personal taste. It's also a function of where you've planted the bush. If grown in the yard singly or in small groups, they look stunning left to grow naturally. If grown as a hedgerow, or along foundations, pruning often is a requirement to maintain a neat and manageable appearance.

Forsythia are among the earliest of spring bloomers. You can force blooms indoors in winter. It will brighten up any room in the greyest and snowiest of winter days. Seems like a lot of information about a wildflower you may not be interested in unless you are a gardener or flower MANIAc...but I like metaphors.

My son is coming home from Florida today. Yellow is the theme for the weekend. It is happy and I am happy. I am also nervous because he embarks on a new phase of life and in a sense, so do I. Each time your child changes so do you as a parent. I have anticipated this day. I feel ill prepared, but I know that it is upon us and meant to be as it is.

Chase is 21 years old and has character and depth beyond most 21 year olds because of things he and our family has struggled with. We as a family are grateful for challenges we face. Chase has the ability to relate with people and extend his compassion for he has felt the depths of despair and humility himself. This is how life works...it comes full circle.

Chase is returning home 7 months before he had originally planned because unfortunately I have passed down some of this awful thing called a mood disorder. He has fought while in Florida and done so with immense honor and sheer gut. It is necessary now to redetermine a different medication for him. He was not on any medication when he left for Florida back in September of 2006.

His return comes with excitement for me and our entire family. It also comes with some trepidation for things that he will have to face. I suppose I could put him in a hedgerow, prune him often, and keep his appearance "neat and manageable". I choose not to do this for this child looks stunning left to grow...naturally. Just exactly the way he is!

No comments:

Post a Comment