Monday, October 20, 2008

Fighting the Black Dog



Winston Churchill was the one who described his depression as "The black dog." I'm not sure if these other famous people have or had ways to describe their highs and lows. I would be interested to know.

When I am looking for a metaphor to explain how I am feeling or what I am fighting I have used the expression, black dog, deep dark well or the abyss. Each to me are different.

The abyss: Cold, dark, miles away from anyone and anything; the place I care never to go again for I would rather die.

The deep dark well: Again, cold, dark, I scream, but no one can hear; I claw my way up the sheer sides and struggle to climb out on my own, and I do with a lot of fight and hostility inside.

The black dog: I see him coming around the corner but I always think I can outsmart him or I have made peace with him. Somehow quickly he sinks his teeth into me and smothers the life out of me for a time.

The black dog is with me. I hate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment