Thursday, October 23, 2008

What a Kaleidoscope IT IS!

Last week two ladies in my neighborhood dropped by my house to visit. After having spent an hour or so with them my heart was filled with compassion for Jan and Linda (not their real names). They shared the burdens and worries of their children, each have different challenges with mental illnesses.

Linda speaks with remarkable ease about her son who took his own life 5 years ago. He was diagnosed with schizo affective disorder. She is confident that her son is in a better place and she is grateful he no longer suffers as he did.

Linda's 24 year old daughter has had bulimia and now is picking at her face till she bleeds. Jan still searches for some type of answers and firm diagnosis for her 13 year old son. I see the fear in their eyes and the frustration for a system that seems to provide little help. They have so few avenues to turn to anymore.

When I hear of things like this I am sad. Mental illnesses can be a very complex issue. Certain chemicals or molecules in the brain--notably neurotransmitters--along with various enzymes or neurohormones--may be altered in their molecular structure and function. The brain, it's a beautiful, magnificent creation; as is a kaleidoscope. just twist a little and change the way you look at it and you get a little different outcome every time!

I don't consider myself a crusader for the mentally ill, but I am passionate about my feelings. There will be a movie coming out about a man who is bipolar. The movie is called ElectroBoy. While I look forward to its release, I am also nervous because often times the media sensationalizes mental illness.

Open the link if you are interested about info on Electroboy and a comment from yours truly...
Website link

1 comment: