Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Melancholy Flower


I love symbolism. Just as color can bring about certain emotions, flowers have certain meanings. The daisy means innocence and loyal love. A crimson rose depicts mourning. I have felt melancholy for the past several weeks, this flower does not look too melancholy to me. I can fool people as well; I have many times throughout my life.

To live deeply, to live and really feel, is this wrong? Is there a problem? Would you say that Beethoven lived deeply, expressed himself to the extreme through music? How about Vincent van Gogh, what a wide range of paintings and drawings he gave us to enjoy. You can feel his moods reflective in all of them. The humor of Robin Williams and Jim Carey, over the top? Isn't that what we love so much about them? These people with bipolar disorder have clearly been more demonstrative as human beings and we have been the beneficiaries in my opinion.

Regardless of who you are, how you deal with life's challenges, what means of expression you choose to display emotions, it is all very personal and there is not a right or wrong way to do this.

When I am melancholy I choose to keep more to myself. There is a pain inside that aches in my chest, yet no pain killer is available. Sleep is the only freedom from this awful state of existence. Yes it is a form of escape. Yes I have thoughts that oblivion would be a reprieve, but I know that this too shall pass...I will see it through. There is always something to learn during what I have come to know as my humility calls.

1 comment:

  1. it seems my "humility calls" are always accompanied with the wisdom of you putting things into perspective for me.

    ReplyDelete