Monday, November 17, 2008

Sowin' some Wild Oats


Does anyone know what these weeds are? They are wild oats. Anyone sowed any wild oats before, maybe carrying on a little now, or have teenagers doing it at this moment? I relate, I've been there, done all of it. Wild oats, I wonder where the expression comes from???

When is it appropriate to make a decision for someone else? When you are a parent this is such a difficult decision. The love you have for your children is beyond comprehension and sometimes you can see the destructive behavior and patterns that your children may be falling into. I had some wonderful advise that stuck with me early while I was raising my first teenager that seemed to feel right to me. I suppose it was the way I wanted to be treated. It was this: by the time a child is 12-13 years old you have taught them who they are going to be. When tough situations reveal themselves, and there will be many, unless the situation is life sustaining or altering save the relationship and be their friend, don't be the heavy authoritarian. I have followed this same rule with all relationships by trying to not be authoritarian about how I do things. I am very passionate yes, and unfortunately there was a time in my life when it was more important to be right than happy! That's a strong family trait...

How about in marriage, considering one another in decisions is crucial. The ability to see each other as equals in all things remains at the core in the strength of the unity. In our business I have seen such a wide variety of people over the years and unfortunately I see all to often an inequality of respect between husband and wife. My observation is this: for those who continue to complain about the same thing over and over year after year, but have taken no action to solve or improve their situation...I have no sympathy. Things are tough, they could be much tougher!

My thoughtful husband has been concerned for me. Apparently he applied for social security disability insurance for me. He mentioned it to me but I guess I did not think much of it until I got a couple of voice messages wanting to interview me for more information to see if I qualified. I have gotten quite a kick out of this whole thing. I only told my sister, but that is like telling the whole world. Anyway, we have laughed so hard, I believe my husband will take it in the shorts but good for this one. My family can be brutal. Moral of the story, don't make decisions, even when intentions are good, for someone else.

When my husband and I filled out our Advance Health Care Directive as we prepared our Will we wanted to make decisions for ourselves as long as we are able and then, and only then, let our children step in.

I intend to be of sound mind and then be gone (good Lord willing)...or spend some mighty fun times sowin' some WILD OATS in one of them, what do they call them, FACILITIES!!! If I've lost my mind that's too bad, I won't know how much fun I'm having. If not, you should look me up, there won't be a more exciting rest home around!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment